APFELKUCHEN MIT BUTTER-MANDEL GUSS (Apple cake with butter-almond topping)
by Katja Stuebiger of Katja’s Cakes
- 300g plain flour
- 150g sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 free-range egg
- 200g unsalted Shetland Dairy butter
- 50g raisins
- 3 tablespoons golden rum (eg. Mount Gay, Havanna Club)
- 1.5kg apples (eg. Bramley)
- 50g sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100g unsalted Shetland Dairy butter
- 100g sugar
- 100g flaked almonds
- Knead together flour, sugar, salt, egg and butter into a smooth dough and let it rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Butter a round baking tray, roll out the dough evenly and place it into the baking tray.
- Soak the raisins for a minimum of 15 minutes in the rum (best do this first thing before you start baking).
- Peel and core the apples and chop them into small cubes (1.00/1.5cm).
- Mix the apples with the raisins, sugar and cinnamon and put the mixture into the baking tray.
- Bake the cake for 35 minutes/160 degrees/fan oven, 180 degrees/conventional oven.
- For the topping, melt the butter, stir in the sugar, let it caramelize and add the flaked almonds.
- Take the cake out of the oven after 35 minutes, pour the topping mixture evenly over the cake and bake for further 15 minutes.
- Switch off the oven and let the cake rest for another 10 minutes in the oven with closed door.
- Take the cake out of the oven, leave it to cool, carefully remove the tray and enjoy with Shetland Dairy whipped cream.