by Sean Abernethy
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 150g egg whites
- 50g sugar
- 20g soft butter
- 30g sugar for ramekins
- Peel and core the apples, cut into rough pieces.
- Place in a pan with a little water and cook until soft. Set aside 225g.
- Brush butter into ramekins and coat with sugar. Tap out any excess.
- Whisk whites to a stiff peak and add the sugar, whisk for another 4 minutes.
- Beat a quarter of the meringue into the puree till smooth.
- Fold in a quarter of the meringue in batches to the mix.
- Fill the ramekins and smooth off with a pallet knife, wipe the outside if messy.
- Pinch the edge of the ramekins with your index finger and thumb and clean all the way around: this allows it to rise without getting stuck.
- Bake @ 180 degrees for 8-10 minutes depending on your oven.
- To serve, top with icing sugar.